For those patients at risk of glaucoma we can offer a tailor made screening service that exceeds the level of many hospital eye departments’ nurse-led clinics.
This will include as a minimum;
- Detailed history and symptoms, including family history, previous eye treatments, general health and medications.
- Visual acuity
- Assessment of pupil reflexes
- Visual field assessment
- Slit-lamp examination of the anterior segment (front of the eye) including gonioscopy Measurement of intra-ocular pressure (IOP) using a Goldmann tonometer
- Dilation of the pupils to permit detailed examination of the optic nerve using slit-lamp biomicroscopy and retinal photography to record the results.
- Optical Coherence Tomography; this essentially functions like a CT scan and can image in minute detail various structures within the eye. We will use it to record the anterior segment detail, assess the optic nerve and the retinal nerve fibre layer.
We will then discuss with you options for continued monitoring or referral to ophthalmology.